Frogs for identifcation in Nowra

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

TomHickman
spawn
spawn

Frogs for identifcation in Nowra

Postby TomHickman » Sun May 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi all,

A few weeks back I went down to Nowra and came across a few different species of frog.

I can't seem to figure out what they are conclusively, even after looking through Harold Cogger's book and searching online.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Tom.
Attachments
Frog 2.jpg
I thought possibly a Blue Mountains Tree Frog, or Leaf Green Tree Frog.
Frog 1 picture 2.jpg
Frog 1.jpg
I think it is possibly a Jervis Bay Tree Frog, or maybe a Littlejohn's Tree Frog.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Mon May 04, 2015 9:28 pm

Great shots and finds Tom,

I think the first frog is a Whistling Tree Frog (Litoria verreauxi verreauxi), the second looks like it could be another Whistling Tree Frog but the yellow thigh and groin is interesting. The last frog is a Green and Golden Bell Frog (Litoria aurea).

Aaron

TomHickman
spawn
spawn

Postby TomHickman » Tue May 05, 2015 3:17 pm

Thanks Aaron,

That's very helpful. I found a recording of the Whistling Tree Frog call and it definitely matches up to what I heard.

I'm surprised, but excited to hear that it is a Green and Golden Bell Frog. I definitely didn't hear it calling at all over the two nights. Although it may have been the wrong time of year?

Unfortunately the only way I could get photos was to carefully put them into containers. Not ideal I guess, and something I would have avoided having known it was a Green and Golden.

Is it normal to get a specimen that has virtually no golden coloration?

Thanks for your help,

Tom.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Wed May 06, 2015 9:48 am

Hi Tom,

The Green and Golden Bell Frog is primarily a Spring/Summer breeder so it would be uncommon to get them calling this time of the year. It's definitely a good find and in recent years their numbers in the Shoalhaven seem to have improved dramatically so the future of this species on the South Coast at least looks promising. They are variable frogs in their markings and coloration and it is not usual to get primarily green individuals.

Aaron

Return to “Encounters”