I now have 5 Perons Tree frogs living in on my Balcony

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

shell20
spawn
spawn

I now have 5 Perons Tree frogs living in on my Balcony

Postby shell20 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:15 pm

I had 1 Perons Tree frog move into a bucket I have under my potted Rhubarb on my 1st floor balcony about 6 weeks ago but it seems to like company bringing other Perons tree frogs back to stay in his/her bucket. I noticed today after 3 weeks of having 3 I now have 5 Perons tree frogs living in this very confined area. I live on a very steep block with lots of huge gum trees & other natives like wattle trees. I have watched these little frogs leave each night & have seen them jump a good 25 to 30 ft from my 1st floor balcony onto a concrete driveway, they are always back in their bucket by daybreak. I Love my little flat mates they're so interesting to watch. I drilled a hole about 3" above the base of the bucket & just water my plant each day keeping the water level good for my frogs The frogs also fertilise my plant & keep mozzles away. . :D

tropicbreeze
frog
frog

Postby tropicbreeze » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:21 am

It's great when these creatures allow us to share their living space with them. But you should check the water from time to time as frogs don't eat mozzie larvae and some mozzies will always manage to get in and lay eggs.

shell20
spawn
spawn

Postby shell20 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks for your suggestion but I have a strict hands off policy when it comes to native creatures I share my environment with. I believe if you read the statute it's illegal to interfere with these native visitors in any way, that's why I drilled a hole 3" up the side of the bucket so when we have a lot of rain I don't have to disturb the frogs when draining the excess water from the bucket. I figure they can come & go as they please so if they didn't like that spot they wouldn't keep coming back to it. :D

shell20
spawn
spawn

I finally have a photo of one of my wild Perons tree frogs

Postby shell20 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:03 pm

I finally managed to get a photo of one of the Perons tree frogs that have taken up residence in my bucket. Hope you like it. :)
Attachments
20150128_113641~2.jpg
I think this is a female.

harry56
spawn
spawn

Re: I now have 5 Perons Tree frogs living in on my Balcony

Postby harry56 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:59 pm

thanks

gclub

Return to “Encounters”