Please help identify this frog

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Poddlebonk
spawn
spawn

Please help identify this frog

Postby Poddlebonk » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 am

Hi,
We have had a small pond (about 1.5Km uphill from creek) for some years and a (wild) breeding pair (or more) of Banjo (Pobblebonk) frogs. This year, for the first time a smaller (30-40 mm length) light brown frog was seen - in conjunction with a frog heard - high pitched call very like a cicada - and in the garden not restricted to the pond area (Possibly a ground frog ???)

One managed to take a ride in a basket when my wife went shopping - so we have an image of what we believe is the frog - its call is common in the diamond creek area so in all probability its very common but I have never been able to see / observe one before. (image below) - sorry for quality of images - it was fairly enthusiastic about returning to the wild...

Key characteristics - white or very light horizontal stripe under the eye from top lip right round the side of the head - and perfectly camouflaged in light brown leaf litter - just amazing how it disappeared...
Can someone suggest a name ? -
Attachments
IMG_5491.jpg
Unknown - by us...

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi,

Your frog looks like a Southern Tree Frog (Litoria ewingi), they are reasonably common in ponds and slow moving creeks in suburban Melbourne. They do have a high pitched whistling-type call although I usually get them calling close to water amongst vegetation.

Aaron

Return to “Encounters”