19 Species In 2 Hours On My Property

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

akeun1
tadpole
tadpole

19 Species In 2 Hours On My Property

Postby akeun1 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:39 pm

We have been waiting for the rains to arrive since Spring around Coles Creek in Queensland, which is in the Mary Valley. Finally after a terrible drought the rains have arrived. We had 401mm of rain over 3 days which caused flooding to occur throughout my property once again. Finally time for the frogs to become active again. I have written about all the species sighted and heard on the property over a couple of days in my last 2 blogs. I have included many recordings as well as heaps of photographs and some educational information. If you are interested in checking out some of the amazing species of frogs on my beautiful 45 acre property click on the link below.

Hope you enjoy reading, looking and listening as much as I did creating these pages and observing the frogs themselves.

http://www.keuneafrogs.blogspot.com.au/

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Great post Ashley. Nice to see Litoria rothi close to their southern limit. Those are very nice specimens of Pseudophryne major you've got on your property, I'm keen to photograph them again next time I am in Queensland!

Aaron

akeun1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby akeun1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:44 pm

Thanks heaps Aaron! The Roth's here are like the Green Tree Frogs to me now. I see them nearly every night on the veranda since they appeared. They have become very quite over the last few months since they appeared and they keep increasing in number, which is great. They have a lot of personality that's for sure. I know I'm very lucky to have so many species on the property but to have the Litoria tyleri, rothii and peronii all here together is really special due to their distributions.

I was hoping the identification of the Major or Large Toadlet was correct, (which I was very sure about myself) as a few people have thought it was a different species. These people have identified it as P raveni. I do get them on the property as well. What are your thoughts?

Do you think that the identification of the Common and Eastern Sign-bearing Froglets are correct that were together, that I didn't see calling? The ones I said that were together under the tree in the post. The 2 I saw calling, the Common Froglet in the second last post and the Eastern Sign-bearing Froglet at the end of the last post are definitely correct as I photographed them calling or just as they finished.

Any feedback would be great on all of these. I know the rest of the identifications are definitely correct. I like to make sure that my information is accurate. Your help or help from others is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ashley

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:02 pm

Yes you are lucky to have all three 'laughing tree frogs' at your place!

It is definitely P. major to me, P. raveni doesn't have the bright blue flanks like that specimen. Also P. raveni tends to have a black stripe down the side.

It is very tricky splitting parinsignifera and signifera by appearance alone. In NSW there is often obvious differences in the ventral patterns but I am not sure whether that holds true for SE Queensland specimens. C. parinsignifera tends to have a slightly more rounded snout when viewed in profile compared to signifera but these can be very subjective differences.

Aaron

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:27 am

So glad the rain has come for you - your place sounds like frog heaven - thoroughly enjoyed your pics and sound recordings. Thanks for sharing!

manicackel
frog
frog

Postby manicackel » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Wow! I have seen and heard L.Rothi at Tiaro in Queensland which is south of Maryborough. That would be in the far south of it's range? All those frogs. Lucky chap!

akeun1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby akeun1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. I am very lucky to have been able to purchase this property with such a rich diversity of animals. It certainly is a frog's paradise. Without that rain things were looking grim for the trees and animals here. It's amazing how quickly life takes off again.

Return to “Encounters”