Huge Frog need help with Identification - Central Victoria

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

karenlgriffin@bigpond.com
spawn
spawn

Huge Frog need help with Identification - Central Victoria

Postby karenlgriffin@bigpond.com » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:43 pm

I have this afternoon discovered a huge frog (not a toad) in my garden in Central Victoria. I have looked through many pictures but cannot find anything remotely like it, I've never seen a frog like this before. It would be at least 10cm long very smooth, very brown but with distinctive copper coloured thick stripes under the brown top layers, he looked a bit see through if that makes sense. He/she had the most vivid bright orange eyes. By the time I went inside to grab a camera it was gone. I've set up a few plants around the area and placed a shallow dish into the soil as a bit of a mini habitat. I will listen intentely tonight for any calls. Do any members have any ideas what it might be? I've really only had experience with green tree frogs kept in a frog enclosure. Was so excited at this discovery. :lol:

manicackel
frog
frog

Postby manicackel » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:46 pm

Except for the orange eyes. sounds like a giant banjo frog. Did you not think to capture it . then take a photo?

karenlgriffin@bigpond.com
spawn
spawn

Capture

Postby karenlgriffin@bigpond.com » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:13 am

Not being a frog enthusiast I wasn't confident in trying to capture it, to be hones it was so big I was a bit frightened by it. I'm hoping it's still around and I have been looking but there is so much mulch leaf litter it's probably there looking at me. I've fashioned a bit of a pond for it/them? Thanks for your reply.

Certainly will get a photo next time.

Return to “Encounters”