Could this be a frog burrow?

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Blompus
spawn
spawn

Could this be a frog burrow?

Postby Blompus » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi there

I live approximately 150 metres from the bank of the River Torrens in Adelaide (metro area, on a main road) and have often encountered what I have now learned are Eastern Banjo frogs in the yard ( We have no pond etc so not sure why they visit us :? ).

Recently, some odd holes have been appearing in the soil of the garden beds, and vary in size and number - sometimes single and sometimes in pairs. I have attached a picture of the most recent, and largest hole to have appeared yet. It is approximately the diameter of a 50c coin. Others have averaged about the size of a 10c coin.

As I now know what type of frog visits us, and that they are indeed burrowers, I was wondering if you could take a look at the photo attached, and possibly advise if it could be an Eastern Banjo Frog burrow?

It would certainly ease my mind if it was made by frogs, as the alternative (of the 8 legged variety) terrifies me, considering I have 2 small boys that like to play out in the garden!

Thanks so much in advance. I hope you can help!

Gulper
frog
frog

Self-burying Frogs

Postby Gulper » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Hi Blompus,
it doesn't look as if your picture came through. Burrowing frogs don't usually live in a burrow as such- they usually just bury themselves in the soil or mud. However "Self-burying Frogs" seems to conjure less cute images than the term "burrowing frogs". I imagine that in certain soils under certain conditions that a burrow may persist after the frog has emerged, but as far as I am aware while frogs may use certain earth cracks with some regularity they don't use the same burrow. I am happy to stand corrected if someone has observed frogs returning to the same burrow.

Frogs only need to breed occasionally but the less exciting activity of foraging for food calls frogs to the surface more frequently, and they will disperse widely over the landscape to forage, which is why they've turned up at your place when you don't have a pond. You should feel flattered.

Cheers,

Alex

taniaaust1
tadpole
tadpole

Postby taniaaust1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:03 pm

Old post but Im going to throw out a suggestion of what they could of been.. maybe antlions? (Iknow they do burrows around that size, not sure if they usually are in SA or not. Antlions eat ants, spiders and other insects).

Return to “Encounters”