Peron's Tree Frog in north Canberra- help wanted

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

Ben Walkin
spawn
spawn

Peron's Tree Frog in north Canberra- help wanted

Postby Ben Walkin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:49 pm

G'day.

I just had a Peron's Tree Frog drop on to my lounge in a unit in north Canberra. We're not well tree'd or watered so its a real shock.

I had turned the air conditioner on to cool down and can only see that as the inlet. Perhaps in a hand of bananas?

I have placed it in a Tupperware container. It still has moist skin and energy. When trying to ID the species I saw a condition where they develop a red colour in their leg-pits and belly. This guy has a red blush but not sure if it's a natural colouring. He is paler than in photos I've found.

I've got a medium size pond about one km away and wondering if this is the way to go or if there is a keeper that could care for him.

Any help?
Ben
Attachments
image.jpg
Taken 2200 on 28 Nov 2013

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:52 am

Hi Ben,

It's possible its a local frog that has made its way inside. I think there has been a bit of rain lately in the ACT which would help frogs move around. Or it could be one from further afield that has hitched a ride into the ACT in fruit.

There used to be the Canberra Herpetological Society but I can't seem to find them on the web any more, maybe some other posters here will know. The frogs can develop a reddish flush through stress. Litoria peroni usually has black and yellow markings in the groin as well and they can vary their colour dramatically from a dark brown to almost white in colour to match surroundings. I will do a bit more research and see what I can come up with but in the absence of any rescue groups in the ACT it may need to be released.

Aaron

Ben Walkin
spawn
spawn

Postby Ben Walkin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:54 am

Top stuff! Thanks.

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:22 am

The website doesn't seem to be functional any more but they have a Facebook group which still seems active.

https://www.facebook.com/actherpetologicalassociation

If you have Facebook maybe you can send them a message? Or there is an email address info@actha.org.au.

The other option is to contact the RSPCA and they may be able to pass it on to a wildlife carer. If you were in NSW I could help you out pretty quickly but I don't know much about the ACT's wildlife laws!

Aaron

Return to “Encounters”