Amazing New Book about Australian Tadpoles and Frogs

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

hylidia
tadpole
tadpole

Amazing New Book about Australian Tadpoles and Frogs

Postby hylidia » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi All
Some of you may have heard of Marion Anstis, she is an amazing frog and tadpole biologist and is in the process of publishing a new book about all the tadpoles and Frogs of Australia. BUT she needs our help to make sure it gets published. See a message from Marion below:

Dear Everyone,

As you may know, I have produced a comprehensive book on Tadpoles and Frogs of Australia and have a contract with New Holland to publish it this year. The book is 816 pages with gloss paper, hard cover and dust jacket and contains 3060 colour photos of adult frogs, eggs, tadpoles and metamorphs and over 500 drawings, plus maps (see attached image file). It describes the 235 species of Australian frogs which were currently known up to mid-2012 and includes tadpole and egg descriptions for most with identification tools for use of the keys. Because it so comprehensive in its coverage of the life histories of Australian frogs, it will be a unique reference in this field. For those of you that have seen my first book, this book is a great advancement on that and covers the whole country, with much more about the adult frogs now.

New Holland has just informed me that they are concerned about the increasing costs for publication of a book this size, and have asked me to gain an estimate of the potential market for this book before they decide whether to go ahead and publish. If they do publish it, they would initially plan to do a print run of about 500 of a special edition of numbered copies signed by the author. These will need to be priced somewhere between $150-$200. If these are sold they may consider doing a further standard print run, but this will no doubt depend on the market at that time.

Thus I am asking you to please give me an idea at this stage if you would be interested in purchasing one or more copies of the special edition, so that I can try to give them the confidence to publish it. Without your support, they will not be in a position to go ahead.

For those who saw the edition I had printed for submission to my PhD at ASH, I am grateful for the fantastic responses I received from you, and I hope you might encourage others to help get this book off the ground and out there. From the reviews I have received during the marking process for the PhD and elsewhere (some quotes from which are on the attached poster image), the book will certainly make its presence felt in Australia and internationally, and I know it is highly unlikely such a work will be published again, given the precarious future ahead for publishing companies.

To all the contributing photographers, you will each be offered a well-discounted, and in some instances, free initial copy. I have added your names to this email list in case you might wish to purchase further copies at the full price.

Could you please spread this email to anyone else you think may be interested, and let me know yourself by Wednesday 27th March if you would like to purchase the book, stating your full name and the number of copies you may wish to reserve. You will be informed soon as possible following the outcome of my next meeting with New Holland as to whether the book can go ahead. My apologies if you receive this email twice, as you may be on more than one email list.
Meantime, HELP!

Best wishes,

Marion Anstis

If you would be interested in purchasing a book, please PM me and I will send you her email address so that you can request a copy. Please help us ensure this amazing book gets published!

manicackel
frog
frog

Postby manicackel » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:56 am

I have expressed an interest in buying this book. Money is no object!

Sean
frog
frog

Postby Sean » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:02 pm

yep, I just emailed her as well, hope im not too late!

edit: There was still room on the list when I contacted her.
Last edited by Sean on Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

annette
metamorphling
metamorphling

Postby annette » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 am

I got this email sent to me a week or two ago, was thinking of posting it on here, so well done. Sounds good, have ordered mine!

Jenelle
frog
frog

Postby Jenelle » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:28 pm

i got her first one and its signed i hope she does well for this one . i remember her talking about doing one for all of Australia too

Return to “Encounters”