green tree frog babies

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

jennifer susan
spawn
spawn

green tree frog babies

Postby jennifer susan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Hello. I live in a rural area in northern NSW. When we have lots of rain, puddles form on driveway (granite clay soil). Often green frogs lay eggs in the puddles. When puddles dry up, babies perish. It usually happens very quickly. Decided to collect as many as possible in a bucket this afternoon. Can't transfer them to a dam/pond as both leak and we have little rain this season so they are very dry. What conditions do they need to grow and prosper in the bucket and what to feed them if anything? Thanks, Jennifer

Aaron
frog
frog

Re: green tree frog babies

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi Jennifer,

Great work rescuing the eggs and tadpoles. Keeping it simple is best in a bucket and its important to not overcrowd it. Depending on the size of the bucket you could have up to 100 tadpoles living in it. I usually feed mine frozen lettuce (freezing helps to break down the structure and makes it easier for the tadpoles to eat once it thaws in the water). Partial water changes using rainwater from a tank would also keep the water quality at an tolerable level.

Aaron

jennifer susan
spawn
spawn

Postby jennifer susan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:21 am

Thank you Aaron. I really appreciate your advice, and will keep it simple and just see how it goes. As I probably have more than 100, I might take some down to the local creek and see how they fare. Thanks again. Jennifer

jennifer susan
spawn
spawn

Postby jennifer susan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:34 am

Hello Aaron, I am almost a month down the track with "Project Tadpoles in a Bucket". At this point, some seem quite large, whilst others are still quite small. We live in the bush near a creek, do I capture the larger fellows and release them at the creek to allow the smaller ones a better chance, or is this just the process of natural selection in action?

Aaron
frog
frog

Postby Aaron » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Glad to hear the tadpoles are going well. There is always competition between them and the stronger ones will get to the food first and grow faster and leave the water earlier. The smaller ones should keep growing (provided there isn't a huge size difference between the two because the larger tadpoles wouldn't hesitate to eat the smaller ones). You could set up another bucket and divide them based on size. I'm not sure how they would go in the creek because there could be lots of predators like fish, turtles and eels. Also if its a flowing creek it wouldn't be suitable for the tadpoles of the Green Tree Frog as they usually prefer to lay their eggs in still water.

jennifer susan
spawn
spawn

Postby jennifer susan » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Thank you Aaron, I will give the separation of the sizes a go and see what eventuates. I'll let you know further down the track how it all went. Much appreciate your advice. Jennifer

Return to “Encounters”