small backyard pond

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

nylontags
spawn
spawn

small backyard pond

Postby nylontags » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:12 pm

I have had a pond in my backyard for years and each year the little frogs come then disappear.
This year I decided to make it more attractive for them so have placed potted water plants etc around but I really have no ides what I am doing or if any of the plants may be frog unfriendly.
Now that I have encouraged them to stay I am really worried that I do the right thing by them. As the pond is small I have to keep topping it up with the hose especially when the weather gets really hot but I have heard tap water is not good for them?
This morning there were 15 little darlings sitting on the Lilly pads and another 10 that I could see around the edge of the pond . My concern is that they wont have enough to eat so wondering how I can encourage food to their home.
Any suggestions at all to help them flourish would be greatly received.
Thank you Lyn
PS: Would love to know what kind of little frogs these are and how big they grow.
Attachments
ffrogs.jpg
fffrogs.jpg
frogs.jpg

Aaron
frog
frog

Re: small backyard pond

Postby Aaron » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:00 am

Hi,

Your frogs look like Eastern Sedge Frogs (Litoria fallax).

Return to “Encounters”