Vic flooding makes great weather for frogs!

This forum is for all those interested in Australian frogs. Share stories and pictures of your pet frog or tell your tall tale of contact in the wilds of suburbia or bushland.

Moderators: Chris Key, Gerry Marantelli, Mod Squad

PossumPete
spawn
spawn

Vic flooding makes great weather for frogs!

Postby PossumPete » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:41 pm

So you may have heard about the flooding in Victoria the past couple of weeks. Including landslides that have blocked off the Great Ocean Road. :(

All these downpours make for great frog activity, and on the full moon I went down the road in Anglesea to the local frog hangout to hear an incredible chorus.

Litoria ewingii is quite distinctive, but it was the Limnodynastes dumerilii conversations which were really fantastic to listen to. I am sure Crinia signifera is in there too, but if you listen very carefully at the 6-7 second mark, and again at the 2:07 mark - is it possibly Litoria raniformis!??

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0hkeOMtdY9X

If anyone can hear other species in the cacophony I would love to know.

Thanks,

PossumPete

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Re: Vic flooding makes great weather for frogs!

Postby Chris Key » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:26 am

I can't identify them, but it sounds wonderful!

PossumPete
spawn
spawn

Postby PossumPete » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:08 pm

Thanks Chris, I totally agree, it was a magic evening under the full moon too.

A froggy friend of mine says it is likely a male Pobblebonk growling at another male Pobblebonk as opposed to a Growling Grass Frog in the recording. I thought that might be the case. :(

Would love to hear one someday though!

Carole Burge
spawn
spawn

Postby Carole Burge » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:15 pm

PossumPete wrote:So you may have heard about the flooding in Victoria the past couple of weeks. Including landslides that have blocked off the Great Ocean Road. :(

All these downpours make for great frog activity, and on the full moon I went down the road in Anglesea to the local frog hangout to hear an incredible chorus.

Litoria ewingii is quite distinctive, but it was the Limnodynastes dumerilii conversations which were really fantastic to listen to. I am sure Crinia signifera is in there too, but if you listen very carefully at the 6-7 second mark, and again at the 2:07 mark - is it possibly Litoria raniformis!??

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0hkeOMtdY9X
If anyone can hear other species in the cacophony I would love to know.
Thanks,
PossumPete

Thanks for info!

Return to “Encounters”