Hundreds from 'Members-list' may have No intersest in Frogs!

Want to express your opinion about anything on the frogs.org.au domain? Is there something completely missing that you would like to see?

Moderators: Chris Key, frog, Mod Squad

Pickas
tadpole
tadpole

Hundreds from 'Members-list' may have No intersest in Frogs!

Postby Pickas » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:57 pm

I was browsing through the Memberslist and noticed that literally hundreds of members recently joined appear to have no interest in frogs. In fact it would seem they are more joining knowing that they then have a free link to their websites. No posts, and their names reflect their sites. :evil:
I went back around 15 pages of the recently joined finding that they were all registered in 2010. I was left wondering if there may be an automated service registering all these new members, as I don’t recall there being a CAPTCHA required when registering. :?: :idea:

This is a great site, lets protect it.

Viva La Frog!!!! :lol:

Ann
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Ann » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi, yes I am aware of these members and started to delete them. It is very time consuming and as they are not making any spam posts I am not worrying about them now. Just deleting members that are spamming.

There is a form of CAPTCHA with a random question requiring an answer on joining.

The new members will be brought to the attention of our IT guy when he is available.
Thanks
Ann

Gerry Marantelli
Amphibian Research Centre

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:32 am

We do have a program in place to stop automated joining and to identify members that are not real. We are also very proud of the community and the value all of your contributions make to the world's knowledge and interest in frogs.

Unfortunately these people are real so they just find ways to get in - and yes they are trying to post links so their websites or the ones they work for get better web rankings.

It is actually a compliment to our forum and our website that it is so highly regarded by search engines that people will go to this effort to get a link. We do search for and delete them periodically - manually - but they do not do too much harm if they are not posting - so if we take a while to weed them out or we miss a few I am not too concerned.

Chris Key
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Chris Key » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:06 pm

I would like to think that the majority of the members don't see the majority of the spam we get rid of :)

Gerry Marantelli

Postby Gerry Marantelli » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 pm

yes you are right Chris

and we all owe a huge debt of gratitude to you and the other moderators who do the huge job of removing spam and keeping the forum about frogs - many thanks from those of us who don't always find time to help out here. you are doing the site and its members and therefor frogs a great service.

Eipper
Community Elder
Community Elder

Postby Eipper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Chris,

There are quite a few that slip through the cracks..but we try to get most of them!!!!

Cheers,
Scott

Return to “Feedback”